On HGTV one day, there was this show called “Live Here Buy This!” where the people are shown different places around the world they are interested in living. Not just the places, but comparing what they got for their money where they were living at the time to what the same price tag would get them for a house in these other places.
One couple had a choice of Scottsdale, Arizona. “Scottsdale?” I wasn’t sure I’d even heard of it. (Turns out it’s right next to Phoenix. That I’ve heard of.) Didn’t pay any attention to it. In the past few weeks, Scottsdale has not only shown up in a search on great winter family vacation destinations, but there was an ad on the radio this morning about getting away to Scottsdale this winter.
I’ve taken it as a sign to research more. Just why would somebody want to take a family vacation to Scottsdale or go so far as to move there?
- 300 days of sunshine each year. Yes, you read that correctly. Given the winter we’ve been having here, we’ve maybe had about 10-14 days in the past 3 months, a high chance of sunshine sounds very, very nice.
- Average temperature during the winter is about +22 degrees Celsius/72 degree Fahrenheit (so they said on the radio). Average temperature lately is all over the place; -15C/+5F one week and -5C/+22F the next. Still, nowhere near +22C/72F!
- The amazing climate means there is a wealth of outdoor activities to do while on your vacation with your kids: hiking, swimming, biking, golfing…
- Attractions in and nearby Scottsdale such as: Rawhide Western Town where you can see western life in the 1880s, pan for gold, go burro riding, visit the petting zoo, take coach rides and a lot more the whole family will enjoy; the McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park where you can ride a miniature train, check out model railroad sets, play in the playground and more (free admission!)); Out of Africa Wildlife Park where you can feed a tiger (if you want to) and just enjoy all the wildlife and activities the park has to offer.
- It’s said to be the number one resort community in the U.S. The accommodation ratings I’ve looked up have been great! (You might have a hard time picking the right one to stay in!)
While I had never really known anything about Scottsdale before today, I have to say that I now understand why it’s a recommended family vacation destination! There really is a lot families could do there while on vacation. And for those of us in the cold and snow, wouldn’t the great weather there provide us a nice break?